Now loading.
Please wait.

Things you need to know

Becoming a marriage celebrant 

The regulation of marriage celebrants in Australia is administered by the Attorney-General’s Department. Includes information on the Marriage Celebrants Program, ongoing professional development, and legislation.

FROM Attorney-General’s Department

Getting married in Australia

The Attorney-General’s Department is responsible for the laws setting out the requirements for getting married in Australia.

FROM Attorney-General’s Department

Marriage and relationships

The state and territory births, deaths and marriages registry offices provide information on the legal requirements for marriage. Provides links to state and territory information on marriage and relationships.

FROM Attorney-General’s Department

Marriage overseas – general requirements

Provides a general guide to requirements which may need to be met in order for a marriage to be legal in a particular country.

FROM Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Notice of intended marriage form

Section 42 of the Marriage Act 1961 requires that a marriage shall not be solemnizes unless a notice in writing of the intended marriage, in the prescribed form, is given to the authorized celebrant solemnizing the marriage.

FROM Attorney-General’s Department


There is a lot to consider when planning your wedding day. This will help you with the key legal requirements.

To be legally married in Australia, a consenting couple must:

  • not be married to someone else
  • not be marrying a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother or sister
  • be at least eighteen years old, unless a court has approved a marriage where one party is aged between sixteen and eighteen years old
  • understand what marriage means and freely consent to becoming married
  • use specific words during the ceremony
  • give written notice of their intention to marry to their authorised celebrant.

The celebrant you choose will help you understand these requirements.

You don’t have to be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia to legally marry here. You can find marriage visa information on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website, if you hope to live in Australia after your marriage.

Important paperwork—Notice of Intended Marriage

A completed Notice of Intended Marriage form must be given to your celebrant at least one month before the wedding. You can give it to your celebrant up to eighteen months beforehand.

Your celebrant can help you complete the form. The notice may be completed and witnessed outside Australia if required.

Talk to your celebrant if there is less than one month before your wedding. A prescribed authority may approve a shorter notice time in some limited circumstances.

You will need to give your celebrant evidence of date and place of birth, identity and the end of any previous marriages for each party. Your celebrant may also ask you to complete a statutory declaration to support your evidence.

Finding a celebrant

Only an authorised celebrant can legally perform your marriage.

Authorised celebrants perform civil and religious ceremonies. There are three kinds of authorised celebrants:

  1. Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrants who perform civil and religious ceremonies (for independent religious organisations). The fees charged by these celebrants are not fixed. Prices may vary between celebrants. They are also required to follow the Code of practice for marriage celebrants.
    • Code of practice for marriage celebrants
    • Code of practice for marriage celebrants
  2. Ministers of religion of a recognised denomination who perform religious ceremonies. These celebrants are regulated by state and territory registries of births, deaths and marriages and their respective religious organisation.
  3.  State officials who perform civil ceremonies.

This includes some staff of state and territory registries of births, deaths and marriages and some local courts.

The Coalition of Celebrant Associations offers some tips on choosing your celebrant.

For more information, visit the Find a marriage celebrant page.

After you are married

On the day of your wedding, you will sign three marriage certificates. Each certificate should be signed by you, your celebrant and two witnesses. Your celebrant will give you one of the certificates as a record of your marriage.

Your celebrant must register your marriage with the registry of births, deaths and marriages in the state or territory it took place within fourteen days.

The certificate issued by the registry of births, deaths and marriages is required for many official purposes. You should apply for a copy of this certificate from the registry after your wedding.

Making a complaint about a Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrant

Speak to your celebrant early if you have concerns. If you can’t resolve the issue you can find more information on the complaint about a marriage celebrant page.

For more information and access to resources, please visit the Attorney-General’s website. Click Here.